Starting over

Starting over

Postby brian » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:28 pm

Unfortunately, postalforum.com has been overrun with spam registrations- over a hundred thousand in a short period of time. Doing a wholesale deletion of the spam users apparently caused a crash of the forum software that I wasn't able to fix. So we're starting from scratch again, with a new software installation and a new host. I haven't announced anything, but if you're reading this I assume you were a past user of the forum, so feel free to re-register. For the time being, registrations are manual- fill in the required info on the registration form, and I'll approve them as I get them. This is necessary until I can find an automatic registration spam solution- within a few hours of setting up this new site I'd gotten 70-80 spam registration attempts.
brian
Site Admin

Re: Starting over

Postby brian » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:10 pm

The question and answer anti-spam feature seems to be working, so I've re-enabled automated registration- no waiting for activation.
brian
Site Admin

Postby brian » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:41 am

... and if you tried to register and received a message telling you that you were permanently banned from the site, just give it another try. A number of IP address ranges were banned because of spam registrations originating in places like Russia, China, etc. Unfortunately, the bans also blocked some legitimate addresses in this country. Now that the registration process seems to be spam proofed, there's no need for IP bans, so they've all been removed.
brian
Site Admin

Postby keepitreal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:07 pm

Many thanks, Brian !! :D
Tax and Spend I can understand. I can even understand Borrow and Spend. But Borrow and give Billionaires tax cuts? That I have a problem with.
keepitreal

Postby daisycutter » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Hey Brian, Do you plan on opening the financial forum again, for us financial geeks? Thanks
daisycutter

Postby vetclerk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Now I know what Noah felt like having to start over again
vetclerk

Return to Politics